Resources for Survivors and Supporters
If you or a loved one has experienced sexual violence, there are a whole range of resources out there for you.
Somerset and Avon Rape & Sexual Abuse Support (SARSAS) has a selection of guides about taking care of yourself, or supporting a loved one, through the recovery process, including Polish, Chinese, Arabic, Somali and easy-read versions.
- Ouaine Bain & Maureen Sanders – Out in the open: A guide for young people who have been sexually abused
- Ellen Bass & Laura Davis – The courage to heal
- Laura Davis – The courage to heal workbook
- Linda A Ledray – Recovering from rape
- Aphrodite Matsakis – The rape recovery handbook: Step-by-step help for survivors of sexual assault
- Robin Warshaw – I never called it rape
- Maya Angelou – I know why the caged bird sings
- Sylvia Fraser – My father’s house: A memoir of incest and healing
- Abi Grant – Words can describe
- Jill Saward & Wendy Green – Rape, my story
Academic books about rape and other forms of sexual violence
- Susan Estrich – Real Rape: How the legal system victimizes women who say no
- Liz Kelly – Surviving Sexual Violence
Resources for Professionals
- The Stern Review – A report into how rape complaints are handled by public authorities in England and Wales.
- The Government Response to the Stern Review
- Government action plan to end violence against women and girls
- The Crisis in Rape Crisis – executive summary of the report from the Women’s Resource Centre
- The Crown Prosecution Service – Violence against Women and Girls Crime Report 2011/12